Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dental plaque and corporate misdemeanors

There's no place to hide your less-than-perfect brand behaviour.

(This not-especially-original insight was reinforced for me this morning as I sat in the dentist's chair, listening to the hygienist scrape away the accumulated plaque from my teeth. The consequences of my less-than-perfect flossing over the past six months were right there for her to see – and for me to feel guilty about.)

When a company or brand slips up, you can expect the news to travel fast, thanks to zealous reporters, bloggers and the everyday chatter heard around watercoolers or at holiday parties.

So more than ever, it's important to be clear what your company stands for, and make sure everyone on your team understands and lives by your values. Then, if you do mess up, be sure to fess up before others do it for you!

No comments: