Friday, August 13, 2010

My new iPad: The thrill, the disappointment and a delightful surprise

My first Apple computer!
As a nearly 30-year user of Apple technology (remember the Apple II Plus anyone?), the time finally arrived when I was able to purchase an iPad. (Being the prudent person I am, I also bought an ICON screen protector, and after being nearly overwhelmed by choice at my Best Buy store, a padded black nylon Brenthaven carrying case.)

Naturally, there was enormous excitement when I unpacked the silent, shining black-and-chrome iPad.

The designer side of me relishes the simplicity of the all-white Apple box with its vacuum-formed insert and clear cellophane wrappers (that even have micro-sized dots on the flaps to tell you where to pull to remove).

Cardboard stiffener = cupholder tray!
But the eco-consumer side of me – disappointed by the lack of recycle-ability of much of the iPad packaging – was thrilled that the cardboard stiffener inside the Brenthaven case (which itself was packed inside a simple, recycled paper sleeve) was designed to be reused as a cup-holder tray! Its instructions read: "In our efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle, please punch out cup holders and recycle the rest. Thanks. Brenthaven."

So while I've (predictably) extended my engagement and passion for the Apple brand, I have become an instant convert to the eco-friendly Brenthaven brand and its Zero Impact commitment to the environment.

Do you think the time will come when Apple's commitment to user experience will catch up with today's ground-swell of eco-consciousness, and will lead the company to evolve its distinctive packaging into something less polished and sleek?

1 comment:

Tim Morawetz said...

Little did I know that the process of actually 'activating' the new iPad for 3G coverage (outside of WiFi zones) would be so painful!

Literally HOURS of time have been spend going to retail outlets (first Rogers Plus, then BestBuy, then The Source) to get the correct type of micro-SIM card, then sitting on hold in call centre cues waiting for help when the web-based activation instructions didn't get the job done.

Finally I was able to experience the thrill of seeing 'Bell 3G' displayed in the top-left corner, signifying true freedom to exploit this marvellous device.

A word to the wise: Be sure that you get a 'Pre-Paid' micro-SIM card, NOT the 'post-paid' version or the one meant for the new iPhone 4 -- all three versions (at least with Bell) have identical packaging!