Thursday, January 31, 2008

The rewards of giving back

Making time for volunteer work these days is always a challenge, what with client projects, kid’s hockey games and spending time with your spouse all competing for the planet’s most non-renewable: time.

For three years, I’ve given a great many hours to the Marketing Hall of Legends (www.marketinghalloflegends.ca), an organization that celebrates marketing excellence in Canada. The primary part of my role has been conducting phone or in-person interviews with each year’s inductees, then translating these into two-page profiles in the gala evening program book.

While the hours I’ve contributed are considerable, so too are the rewards I’ve received. First, simply getting to talk with some of Canada’s most successful marketers is a treat. Second, the opportunity to hear about their career influences, their personal mantras and their views on the industry today is enlightening. And third is the satisfaction of knowing that my work – together with that of the others on the committee who also donate their time to the cause – reaches the eyes and minds and hearts of other Canadian marketers.

Last night's gala was once again a great success. Since this was my final year as an MHOL volunteer, it was a bittersweet moment to witness the energy in the room. I left feeling very proud of the part I'd played in helping our industry honour its legends.

1 comment:

mmmarce said...

I didn't know it was your final year! That's quite sad. You've put so much work into it, and I would have never had a chance to listen to those great thinkers if it weren't for that as well.

Oh well, on to new and exciting things!