Monday, June 21, 2010

Cotter-pins and continuous improvement

This afternoon I spend a couple of hours assembling a Yardworks garden cart – a new tool for my wife's business, It's Perfect.

The product was compactly and responsibly packaged (all cardboard, no styrofoam), the instructions seemed pretty clear, and the different nuts and bolts needed at each stage of the assembly stage were even supplied in separate numbered pockets on a vacuum-packed card... wow!

Everything was going along very nicely, and I eventually figured out the best way to use my crescent wrench and box-end wrench to tighten the hard-to-reach bolts.

However, while fastening the side walls of the cart, one of the tiny cotter-pins sprang out of my pliers and into the wilderness of my garage floor. Which got me thinking: Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers supplied a couple of extras of the 'most-likely-to-be-lost-during-assembly' parts?

My only beef with the product was that the instructions were unclear about which way to install the side walls, so I had to remove and reinstall them to get the nifty locking fasteners to fit. Otherwise, it was a great experience, and Sue is delighted with the utility value of the cart!

Lessons for marketers: Anticipate and address potential customer irritants to deliver the best customer experience.
  • Ensure every part of the instructions is crystal-clear (with detailed illustrations) to help customers avoid mistakes.
  • Consider supplying a few extra nuts and bolts – ideally in a separate, clearly marked little package so customers aren't wondering if they missed something.
Personal lessons: As usual, allow enough time for the project, have the right tools on hand, and keep experimenting how to use the tools to get the job done quickly.

No comments: