Saturday, June 26, 2010

One day, three communities...

Today, I was proud to be part of one very 'tangible' community, happy to be part of an 'old media' virtual community, and ashamed to be indirectly associated with a 'real' community powered by new media. Let me explain...

Proud (noon): The group of neighbourhood youngsters that I coach on the Leaside Braves baseball team pulled together on a very wet and dreary morning to win the Consolation Championship. Media involved: face-to-face connections supported by league website and coach's weekly emails.

Happy (10:15 pm): Joined a virtually connected group of blues music fans as I brushed my teeth. Media involved: radio (CBC's Saturday Night Blues) which included phone-in requests.

Ashamed (bedtime): Watched the devastation wreaked by unruly G20 protestors in my city. Media involved: TV and newspaper websites delivered the images showing a 'community' of protestors -- reportedly linked and empowered through social media.

The reminder for me: communities and media (like other enabling technologies) can be instruments of good or evil.

No comments: